Important things to consider when migrating database from SQL Server to MySQL
Situations may arise where you have to change the server of your database. In some circumstances, you may have to migrate your database from SQL Server to MySQL. This conversion and migration of the database involve great amount of careful planning. All the planning is required to make sure that there is sufficient amount of performance and reliability. It will also avoid any chances of data loss and corruption during the conversion process. There will be fewer chances of system downtown as well. You will have to face lesser risks.
To make the conversion process of the database from SQL Server to MySQL easy and simpler some special software have been designed. The software have special tools to transfer all database objects from the source DBMS to the target. These database objects also include table definitions with necessary attributes (null flag, default values, etc), data, indexes and constraints, views. Following are some of the basic features which need to be present in the Advanced SQL Server to MySQL database converter:
- It should be able to provide you with high-performance database migration for greater efficiency
- It should support and work on all Windows including Windows 7,8 & 10
- Moreover, the converter should also support all the version of MySQL and MS SQL (including Azure SQL).
- For users to easily use the software it should have a user-friendly interface
- For automating and scheduling option it should support the command line feature
- It should have options of merging and synchronizing the existing MySQL database with MS SQL data.
- It should also support for Unicode and complete installation and uninstallation process.
One of the amazing tools which incorporate all these features is MS SQL to MySQL converter. Intelligent Converters developed this tool. This is a software company which specializes synchronization and database conversion since 2001. Thus, it has been in this business sector for more than fifteen years. The company claims that this database converter has all the above capabilities and other advantages as follows:
- In rare cases where the MySQL server is not able to accept remote connections, the program has the ability to export data into SQL script file. Basically, in this approach, the MS MS SQL data is exported into a local file. This local file contains data definition (DDL) statements which create tables with all the necessary indexes and constraints to fill them with data. This will help database specialists to import files to MySQL server using the standard tools like phpMyAdmin.
- Moreover, in some situations, it is required to convert partial data from tables or merge files into one file. Thus, the converter software helps you in doing so and allows converting the result of SELECT queries which are run against the source SQL Server database.
- Furthermore, it has the “custom column mapping” to change column name or type in the final database. In addition to this, you can also specify table type according to what you want such as SAM, MyISAM, HEAP, InnoDB or BDB.